Programme 2020: Key events
Saturday, 21st March 2020
- Swarthmore Education Centre, 2 - 7 Woodhouse Square, Leeds, LS3 1AD
- 11am - Members morning - Members and non-members welcome.
- Prehistory Research Section members will share some of their own research, presenting two aspects of studying Yorkshire moorland landscapes.
- Geoffrey Barnes: A serpent, a swastika and the Sun: Original perspectives on the prehistoric rock art of Ilkley Moor and beyond.
- Will examine the Swastika Stone on Ilkley Moor, looking at representational elements of it's carving, and applying an archaeoastronomical investigation approach.
- Keith Boughey: Pots of Confusion: Early Bronze Age Burials on Baildon Moor.
- The Prehistory Section has given a grant for radiocarbon and isotope analysis to support this research of burial assemblages on Baildon Moor.
- 2pm - Spring Meeting - Members and non-members welcome.
- Fraser Brown, Senior Project Manager, Oxford Archaeology North: New Mesolithic Discoveries from the North: Changing Views on Hunter-Gatherer Lifestyles.
- 3.30pm - PRS AGM - Members only
Possible Archaeological Events for Your 2020 Diary.
1st Feb: CBA Yorkshire: Annual Symposium and AGM: St John's University, York
8th - 9th Feb: Rewley House, Oxford: Archaeology and DNA
15th Feb: P. Soc Day School: Landscapes of the Dead: Exploring Neolithic Monuments and Mortuary Practice: Burlington House, London
7th Mar: Lancaster University: NW Annual Archaeology Forum
21st Mar: YAHS – Prehistoric Research Section Meeting and AGM
18th Apr: Rewley House, Oxford: Recent Research on Prehistoric Landscapes in Southern Britain: £70
19th - 20th June: Prehistoric Society: Europa Conference (celebrating Colin Haselgrove): Leicester University
5th - 6th Sept: YAHS: (Sat) M Beresford Celebration Conference: Hull Univ: + (Sun) Field Visit
Guest Lectures (open to all)
At Bradford University 5.15pm in the Richmond Building.
At Kings Manor, York 1pm in F133
Please note - Your E-Mail Address:
The majority of members now receive their notices and newsflashes electronically. If your contact details have changed, please let me know, so that our address list remains up-to-date. If you wish to change the way you receive your section information, please drop me a line - either by email, or by post : John Cruse, 3 Ellicott Court, Park Road, Menston, LS29 6PA
Above programme updated 12 January 2020